Medical tourism in Mexico has been one of the most popular and progressive destinations for this growing trend in the medical field. In fact, over 50 countries have identified medical tourism as a national industry. Amidst this growth, what does the term medical tourism mean? It is defined as the patient movement from highly developed countries to the growing nations to seek medical treatment at a lower cost.
Medical tourism in Mexico has been one of the most popular among Canadian citizens and US as it is more convenient to cross borders and some patients prefer the warmer climate.
These are services that are availed by those patronizing medical tourism in Mexico include complex and specialized procedures like knee or hip replacement, dental surgery, cardiac surgery and cosmetic surgery. They also offer psychiatric care, alternative treatments and convalescent care.
· Medical travellers are advised to have their bodies checked prior to travel and to make sure their condition can adjust to the climate or altitude of the country.
· Casual clothes with light materials, hat, sunglasses and sun block lotion are just a few must haves when visiting on the summer season.
· Also, the passport is one of the most important travelling documents. Make sure you have a scanned copy saved in digital format just n case you lose it.
· The official Mexican currency is the Nuevo Peso (N$). The US dollar is also widely accepted, however using the Mexican peso is ideal so you can buy smaller purchases and give tips, when needed.
· The banks usually operate Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM but foreign currency can only be exchanged between 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM in banks.
· Major credit cards are also accepted in some hospitals. It is best however to advise your creditor in advance to avoid fraud, hassle and blocking.
· Do not flaunt your jewelleries and gadgets. Valuables are better left at home or in the hotel.
· Lastly, making preparations in advance are better. It is best to coordinate with the hospital or clinic of your choice and prepare the necessary documents you need before being admitted. Make sure you also bring pertinent medical records to show the doctors to give them your medical history.
Medical tourism in Mexico has truly developed over the years. The number of medical tourists visiting the country can now compare state-of-the-art hospitals with the best in the world that is why patient confidence has been reinforced. A lot of information can be found online, so do not hesitate to check it if you ever find yourself wanting to go there for treatment.